As an independent travel agent you generally will have access to everything you need to become successful. Your host company will likely have a portal for you to make sure you have all the tools you need.
Almost every vendor offers an extensive agent portal that contains all the information and training options to succeed. Below are some tips to help you achieve your goals.
You can succeed. How well you do is really up to you.
- Go through your host companies agent portal and visit daily. There should be training options, important information and updates available that could help make or break your business.
- Constant learning. Utilize the available training both in your back office and in the vendor agent portals. You will never run out of learning materials. Focus first on the companies and travel types that you feel you want to promote most. Then focus on some of the other options that you can add and repeat.
- Become a specialist. Specializing in a destination or type of travel is important and you can specialize in more than one as you learn.
- Use social media, build a rapport. Find out what your friends like, what they don’t like. Find out where they want to go and why and find ways to meet their needs. Getting personal with your customers allows you to give them exactly what they want and will result in much happier clients. Include options that they may not have thought of.
- Be accessible. Make sure you are available. If you are going to be away from your computer make sure you have your cell with you. If you are not available they will go somewhere else.
- You don’t need to know everything to help your customers book travel. You can work with most vendors to make sure you are fully informed and they are happy to help you with your questions and bookings.
- Go the extra mile. Make them glad they came to you. Compare pricing, don’t just give them the first set of rates you find. Find the best deals, give them reason to come back to you.